GMBA 301, 3 units
New, classic books that are changing the world of business administration:
- Natural Capitalism: Creating the Next Industrial Revolution by Paul Hawken, Amory Lovins, and L. Hunter Lovins
- Greed to Green by David Gottfried or, in lieu of Greed to Green:
- The Sustainability Revolution: Portrait of a Paradigm Shift by Andres R. Edwards and David Orr
Understanding Ecology & Climate Change
GMBA 302, 3 units
Scientific realism you need for long-term planning.
- Global Climate Change and U.S. Law by Michael B. Gerrard (note: If used for course GMBA 302, this book cannot be used for course GMBA 304) or
- An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore (note: Any edition is fine.)
GMBA 303, 3 units
The technology that solves the world’s worst environmental problems.
- The Green Building Revolution by Jerry Yudelson, or
- The ASHRAE GreenGuide: The Design, Construction, and Operation of Sustainable Buildings by ASHRAE Press
Eco Politics, Law and Regulation
GMBA 304, 3 units
The revolution in new, green legislation and how to make it work for you.
- Global Climate Change and U.S. Law by Michael B. Gerrard (note: If used for course GMBA 304, this book cannot be used for course GMBA 302) or
- Harvard Business Review on Green Business Strategy by Harvard Business School Press
GMBA 305, 3 units
Creative, fast, effective problem analysis and solutions implementation.
- Conceptual Blockbusting: A Guide to Better Ideas by James L. Adams and
- Creativity and Successful Innovation by Larry R. Marshall Ph.D. or
- Strategic Renaissance: New Thinking and Innovation Tools to Create Great Corporate Strategies Using Insights from History and Science by Evan Matthew Dudik
GMBA 306, 3 units
Writing and speaking clearly and with authority.
- The Elements of Style Illustrated by William Strunk Jr., E.B. White and Maira Kalman
- Plain English at Work: A Guide to Writing and Speaking by Edward P. Bailey
GMBA 307, 3 units
Proven systems of self-management and productivity.
- Time Management: Increase Your Personal Productivity and Effectiveness by Harvard Busines Essentials and Harvard Business School Press
GMBA 308, 3 units
Maximizing your effectiveness and the effectiveness of those with whom you work.
- Leadership: Theory and Practice by Peter G. Northouse
GMBA 309, 3 units
Strategy and tactics by leaders in business enterprise.
- The Definitive Business Plan: The Fast-Track to Intelligent Business Planning for Executives and Entrepreneurs by Richard Stutely or
- Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage by Daniel C. Esty and Andrew S. Winston
GMBA 310, 3 units
Using advertising, publicity, and public relations as a means of positive education.
- Basic Marketing (with student CD) by Jr., William D. Perreault, E. Jerome McCarthy, and Joseph P. Cannon (note: Avoid the high-priced textbook version) or
- The Green Marketing Manifesto by John Grant or, in lieu of The Green Marketing Manifesto:
- The Insider’s Guide to Marketing Green Buildings by Jerry Yudelson
GMBA 311, 3 units
Understanding inflation, business cycles, and the economic forces that most affect all business and nonprofit enterprises.
- Basic Economics, 2nd Ed: A Citizen’s Guide to the Economy,
Revised and Expanded Edition, by Thomas Sowell or
- Basic Economics, 4th Ed: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy, by Thomas Sowell or
- Economics: A Self-Teaching Guide by Steve Slavin
GMBA 312, 3 units
How quantification measures performance throughout the business world.
- Financial Management (Barron’s Business Library) by Jae K. Shim, Ph.D. and Joel G. Siegel, Ph.D. or
- Schaum’s Easy Outline Bookkeeping and Accounting by Joel J. Lerner
Rational Self Interest
GMBA 313, 3 units
The ethics that govern business.
- Green Business: A Five-part Model for Creating an Environmentally Responsible Company by Amy K. Townsend
GMBA 314, 3 units
Why the most important changes are never what most people expect.
- A Brief History of the Future: How Visionary Thinkers Change the World and Tomorrow’s Trends are ‘Made’ and Marketed by Oona Strathern
- Creating the Innovation Culture: Leveraging Visionaries, Dissenters & Other Useful Troublemakers by Frances Horibe
The Aesthetic Imperative
GMBA 315, 3 units
Why design matters.
- Geometry of Design: Studies in Proportion and Composition by Kimberly Elam
GMBA 316, 6 units
Your business plan.
Choose from any two or more of the following texts as reference guides for your thesis:
- Green Marketing: Opportunities for Innovation by Jacquelyn A. Ottman
- Visionary Business: An Entrepreneur’s Guide to Success by Marc Allen
- Seven Rules for Sustainable Communities: Design Strategies for the Post Carbon World by Patrick M. Condon
- Green Development: Integrating Ecology and Real Estate by Rocky Mountain Institute, Alex Wilson, Jenifer L. Uncapher, and Lisa McManigal